Tuesday 7 October 2008

supply, supply and supply again

Back to subbing.

Different term, different kids, different school, same old challenges. Well for the most part anyway. However the task does seem a little different this year. In the past I have always been fortunate enough to end up working in the same school for the entire year. This year, however, I am facing the prospect of moving around looking for work where I can get it.

I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about returning to the chalk face. There is a certain amount of relief involved. If you include the summer holidays I haven’t taught in over three months. From a purely financial point of view the relief is immense. They say that most of us are only three pay cheques away from homelessness. I may not be in risk of that just yet but I was beginning to watch the outflow from my bank account with increasing concern.

It is, however, much more than just a financial relief. I was (whisper it softly) missing the working day. I missed the hubbub of the school, the flow of people in the corridors, the characters in the classroom. This may not sound like the cynical old grouch, lacking in any semblance of the youthful idealism with which he once glowed, to whom you have become accustomed – for that I apologise – but sometimes… well… I just miss teaching.

But, as I said, this is a new school and a whole new experience. New beginnings always worry me a little (you’d think I’d get used to them considering I go through this annually.) I’m not a huge fan of readjustment, and fitting in around a completely new system with a completely new set of rules, with a staffroom full of strangers and a classroom full of young strangers fills me with dread.

It’s a good dread though.

2 comments:

Lana Banana said...

my darling mr. c, you'll be amazing . . . as you always are.

let them see who i see and you can't fail.

This Brazen Teacher said...

I find it interesting that the best people for the profession of teaching, are often the first ones to second guess themselves.