Thursday 4 December 2008

where'd it all go?

The first proper snow of winter! Hurrah! I’m a big fan of snow. We don’t get enough of it anymore.
I’m sure I remember long periods of time filled with snow related fun when I was a child. Daily snow ball fights, snowmen that seemed to last months, death defying toboggan runs that had been honed to perfection over the course of a week. We built an igloo at primary school once. I remember carving out the blocks of snow, hardening them, stacking them, packing them and polishing them. I don’t remember actually going inside though – it didn’t look very sturdy and I wasn’t that brave.
Now we never seem to get big quantities of snow – and any we do get never seems to hang around long. There is no longer a big thaw in February; instead we get lots of little ones after each fall of snow throughout the winter.
I don’t know whether I can blame it all on global warming but it’s a convenient rationale so I will anyway. Cause and effect. We ignore all caution in some kind of development race – ergo – we lose all that’s good about winter.
But today is looking good. What started as a few stray flakes drifting down has become a steady curtain of white in the time that it has taken me to write this. The world will be white in the morning – it’ll be glorious; it’ll be pure; it’ll be clean; it’ll make my journey to school over the mountain a bit interesting – oh dear.

Update: I woke up this morning to find that the snow had all disappeared overnight. Thee wasn’t a single sign that it had ever been there. What did I tell you! Although, on the plus side, it did mean I didn’t have to set off for work half an hour early

8 comments:

Paul said...

From my experiences growing up, Ireland never did manage to get much snow. A "white Christmas" was a very special occasion! But I suppose Northern Ireland is a little different as it's further North.

Mr C said...

yeah, funny that - although I distinctly remember having snow for longer I can't remember it ever snowing on Christmas day.

Where abouts have you moved on to now? Any snow there? I hope and pray it's going well.

Paul said...

Well, there are always new challenges to be faced but it's been good!

We've been basing out of Southern France for the past few months and smaller teams have gone all over in the surrounding countries and cities telling others about Jesus! No snow here yet, but it's getting pretty cold.

Hey I just recently finished putting up our photo book online of the past years...check it out! http://missionzones.org/photobook/

Mr C said...

way ahead of you - Ivana sent me a link that that yesterday. It's great. And the photos from Belfast reminded me of the day I saw you all there.

Paul said...

Cool!
Hey Ivanna wrote a new song...have you heard it yet? It's called: "When I get to heaven"

Mr C said...

No, but she sent me "I met God in the Morning"

Paul said...

You should give me your email and I'll send you it.
It's really good, you'll love it!

My email is: pryley[at ]gmail[dot]com

Gidge said...

Wow. I'm from Central Texas, and any snow we get pretty much stops the city. Not because it's substantial, but because we’re dumbfounded.

My Mom and Dad tell me stories of when it used to snow. How they used to make snowmen and snow-angels. The closest I’ve ever gotten to either was a muddy, four-inch tall snowcreature and a wet, pitiful excuse for a snow-angel when I was seven.

It’s been 3 years since I’ve seen any snow. The closest I’ve gotten lately is some sleet. Though a friend does swear she saw snow two nights ago… of course she’d been hitting the jack pretty hard that night.

Anyway – Happy Holidays. And thanks for the comment, it was much appreciated.