Tuesday 8 March 2011

mr c goes global

Today I almost crashed into a Google streetview car. I was just turning onto my road when it came round a corner in the middle of the road. That road is hardly wide enough for two cars at the best of times but it's especially difficult when one of them is in the (non-existent) middle lane and the driver of the other is staring at the weird black column on its roof. In a short while I fully anticipate providing a link to a street-view image of my car at very close quarters - hopefully with my terrified face blurred out.

Of course as soon as I'd parked for a few seconds to regain my breath, I did what any self-obsessed narcissist would do - I took off after it to make sure I appeared as much as possible.

If any of you have tried this you'll know how difficult it actually is. Those drivers have obviously been trained in the bank-robbery-getaway school of driving. He took turns I didn't know existed (and I've lived in the area for 34 years.) I found myself guessing his route - and failing miserably. By the time I had tracked him down properly he was clearly finished for the day - parked up with his camera laid flat on the roof of the car.

I am now determined to find as many Google cars as I can in the next few weeks. I am going to own Google North Antrim/Derry. I'm going to make sure that whenever you type in Cloyfin, or Blagh, or Craigahulier, or Beardiville - who knows? you might someday - you will see my little silver VW with a slightly scared looking teacher behind the wheel. How proud you'll be to know me.

4 comments:

Lana Banana said...

everyone's got to have a dream, mr. c . . . this may as well be yours.

kylie said...

you are a global superstar!

Mr C said...

aw, Kylie - you are so much better at flattery than that Banana woman is.

Less believable though.

Lana Banana said...

don't hate.

i have to keep things balanced, and you know it.

i listen to your stories and laugh and tell you how awesome you are 99% of the time. so, you cannot possibly begrudge me a tiny jibe now and again.

sheesh!

maybe i shall change your name from "mr. c" to "mr. c(ry baby!)".