Thursday 30 November 2006

when i'm right i'm very very right

I'm good. Real good. How long ago was it that I said we needed to rethink our A-level system? How long ago was it that I suggested an International Baccalaureate-esque programme? Just to help you out it was the 18th August.

What news do I hear today? I hear that our Prime Minister, Tony "education education education" Blair has finally done something about it. He's made a speech. Or at least, according to the news, he is going to make a speech imminently.

In a speech in Birmingham, Mr Blair will say he wants 400 academies, double the present target for the year 2010. - bbc.co.uk

But what else?

The government is expected to promote the International Baccalaureate as an alternative to A-levels in the state sector.
It may have been stuck in with all the other less interesting information about Trust Schools and City Academies but it is, nonetheless, there. Or at least it will be there. When he makes the speech that is. Mr Blair is giving a distinct nod in the direction of the IB as a means of assessment and it has made me smile.

For those who may not be familiar with the IBs they comprise six main subjects studied over two years, three studied to a higher level than the other three. There are also compulsory elements - a 4,000-word essay on a topic of the student's interest; theory of knowledge; and creativity. It is the kind of course I wish I was offered when I was 16. If I ruled the world I would make little changes; maybe merge it into year 12 work (ditching GCSEs of course) and add extra curricular elements. But I like the general principle. It's important to offer a broad education - not one that narrows and narrows until our young people start suffering tunnel vision.





When I was doing my A-levels I was convinced that I would become a scientist - after all my older siblings were all scientists. I almost decided to do just science based A-levels but opted for English Literature as well, just in case. As it turned out I was useless at science. I ended up doing an arts degree and I loved every minute of it. Where would I be if I hadn't chosen the Eng Lit A-level a decade or so ago? Why are we pigeon holing our kids at 16? Maybe we could go the whole hog and ask them what they want to be when they're 6 and shaping their education to fit. The train driver and astranaut courses would be very popular I'm sure.





So 10 years to the day since Ole Tone proclaimed that infamous three word soundbite he is finally coming round to my way of thinking on education - it's a shame it's a bit late really.

No comments: