Wednesday 17 October 2007

reverse liberalism

An odd thing happened today while driving round Ballymena looking for a parking spot. I was on an errand - should have been an in-out job, should have been on my way home in two minutes flat. However, I hadn't reckoned on the Ballymena traffic; nor had I reckoned on inconsiderate disabled drivers.
I cannot believe my reaction to the fact that, after eventually parking and having to walk half a mile, I spotted that the car parked in the space directly outside where I was going had a disabled parking permit. It was taking up that space despite the fact that all around were much better placed, wider, and (most importantly) vacant disabled parking bays.
I cannot excuse my thoughts at that point, but for a moment - just a moment - I was overcome with the injustice of it all. I was late, I was out of breath from having to run in my work shoes and suit, and I felt an anger similar to that which i feel when I see able-bodied drivers parking in disabled driver bays. I cannot understand it, I cannot justify it, I cannot explain it. To all my fellow bleeding heart, sandal-wearing, Guardian reading liberals, I apologise, I've let you all down.

No comments: