Tuesday 11 November 2008

is this even possible?

Couple Getting Married by Computer Wedding Program 1981We were discussing discursive essays. I want them to write about something that matters to them. Well, maybe I'm too lazy to come up with a range of titles and got them to do it for me. No, I refuse the guilt - it's their job to come up with the ideas and that's what they were doing.

Anyway as I was making my way round the classroom in a surreptitious manner (well, as surreptitiously as someone 6'5" tall can be) I observed their progress. They were doing pretty well. There were some imaginative topics along with the old chestnuts. But as I was skulking about I was struck motionless by a comment from a sixteen year old girl who I've come to admire for her ability to come out with randomimity. She and a partner were discussing the evils of the Internet,

I love YouTube. I would completely marry it. If YouTube were human I would marry it. Do you have to marry a human? Can you marry non humans? Is that even possible do you think? We should look into that.

I asked her what she meant but I'm afraid to say that my mind went off into its own little world as she replied. I had images of the ceremony joining human and web site in a lifelong partnership. The bride dressed in a beatiful white A line gown with a halter neck, the groom clad in badly shot cell mobile phone footage of young men performing jackass stunts. I pictured the speeches - they were a little disappointing as quality had to be reduced to fit space. And the happy couple's first dance as husband and wife - mesmorising and romantic; except for the fact that the dancing and the music were just that little bit out of synch. At least the wedding video took care of itself.


All of this took place in my mind during the time I should have been listening intently to what she had to say. I immediately felt bad that I hadn't given her the attention she deserved - from experience I would guess that her explaination would have been even more bizarre than my daydream.

3 comments:

Phillip Fayers said...

You need to take a look at this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/3283463/Japanese-launch-campaign-to-marry-comic-book-characters.html

Or do a search for: marry anime in Google news...

Mike and Alex said...

Sorry Sam - I missed the last half of your post... I was too busy imagining marrying engadget.com...

Mr C said...

Philip - Nothing the Japanese do ever surprises me anymore.

Mike - I just assumed you already were married to some form of gadgophilic website - I mean, really...