Monday 17 May 2010

cheese pushers

The best things in life are worth that little bit of extra effort.

I was brought up to acknowledge this as a truism - and I firmly believe that there is a lot of truth in it... whether it refers to amazing socks or danish cheese.

But really. Enough is enough!

Somewhere out there someone is bound to stock havarti cheese so I no longer have to drive the fifty miles (exactly - I google mapped it) to buy some in Sprucefield when I get the cravings.

Based on a conservative 40p per mile for travel costs, adding on the £1.70 that Sainsbury's charge for the 200g blocks, that works out at almost £220 per kilo! Over $9 an ounce for those of you living stateside.

All of this leads me to four conclusions:

1. It had better be some mighty fine cheese.

2. My mental arithmetic skills are on fire today.

3. I have far too much thinking time on my hands.

and 4. Someone could make a killing selling the stuff on street corners.

2 comments:

kylie said...

your mental arithmetic is fantastic!

the thing about good cheese is that once you try it you can never go back.

my fave is about $30 per kilo

Mr C said...

If it was that sharp I would have been ablt to put it into Australian dollars for you... I'm thinking about $360 a kilo ???