Saturday 30 June 2007

Word of the day (Part 1 of a 73 part series)

Every so often I come across a word that makes me smile. Sometimes I don't even know why. It could be because it sounds funny, it could be because it means something totally unexpected, it could be because it reminds me of something... it could be anything.
Well because I have nothing better to write I just thought I'd share with you the joy I had when reading Jasper Fforde's "The Big Over Easy." Five pages in I read the word 'Epiphantic' and it made me so happy I had to stop reading for a few minutes to devote my full attention to appreciating the gorgeous sound of the word. I've always loved the sound of 'Epiphany', it's a nice word - but it can't hold a torch to it's adjectival relative. I even looked up the dictionary when I got home to see if any other derivations could complete - they couldn't. Even epiphenomenalism comes up short - although it must be a close second.And now you are beginning to worry about my sanity I must stop. But not before I officially declare Epiphantic my favourite word... for the time being.

No comments: