Friday 17 August 2007

found guilty of first degree snobbery

I was out shopping today. It’s not something I often do for pleasure but I was at a loose end and I was passing Junction One Retail Park so I dropped in. I didn’t actually buy more than a large Soya Latte and an orange muffin but it was a pleasant enough time.
As I was making my way out of Starbucks I literally bumped into two rather short, stocky, hairless young men with strong Belfast accents. They each had identical Barönjon suit carriers in their hands and my first thought was “I wonder which of them will be in the dock” It is an appalling stereotype that a Belfast man wearing a suit must be on his way to court but I am ashamed to say I couldn’t help myself.
Of course I immediately rebuked myself – out loud – much to the amusement of a teenage girl smoking outside the adidas store. I can be such a snob at times – a flaw in my personality I would love to be able to remedy. The fact that they were buying matching suits could surely, and more likely, be because one of them was getting married and the other was to be the best man. Maybe they were just good friends who enjoyed shopping together and who shared a love of nice suits.
Of course just because something is a stereotype doesn’t mean it isn’t true. I reckon 9 months, suspended because of the nice suits

No comments: