Friday 9 January 2009

your efforts have been noted - trust us

The Principal of the school where I work is retiring today. I wasn’t invited to his farewell speech to the pupils – apparently the staff are having a photo taken after it and with all the teachers occupied in one place they fear a pupil uprising – so those of us with less allegiance to the school (subs in other words) have been given the task of supervising. In my case I have been assigned the foyer – which is good – there are comfortable sofas where I can rest my ankle and tap away on a laptop.

But back to the point. Last night I went to the retirement party in a local hotel. I hate those things. Especially since I haven’t actually been at the school long enough to join in the emotional spirit of the speeches. My ankle made driving difficult so I was late to begin with; and then I really didn’t feel in the mood when I did arrive so – don’t tell anybody – instead of turning right to go to the function hall I turned left to go to the driving range. That was much more fun, I’m going to do that more. I’m not any good at golf but there really is no better way to take out frustrations than to whack a little ball with a big stick.

But back to the point. I had to go to the party eventually – I had been involved in making a comedy sketch movie for the boss. Lots of teachers had been involved and had taken part in various humiliating (blackmail material) and extremely funny sketches. So, when I was confident the meal and speeches would be over, I made my way to the hall. I opened the door just enough to be able to see the film and the reaction to it.

They loved it.

I was hailed a creative master and slapped heartily on the back (when I stopped hiding behind the door). Time and time again people would come over, smile broadly, congratulate me and, in conspiratorial tones, whisper ‘your efforts haven’t gone unnoticed’ before winking.

What does that even mean!?

I’ve heard that in every school I’ve worked in. I always throw myself into school life completely. I’ve coached cricket, run various clubs and societies, helped out with school productions, created countless promotional videos for school youth clubs, sporting teams, etc etc etc. I make a point of doing whatever I can to help whoever I can whenever I can – and always, always, I hear that phrase repeated: ‘your efforts are not in vain.’

At the end of the day they are – in one regard anyway. They have never lead to me getting more regular work with the school. They have not increased my employability one iota. Schools may be grateful but when its comes to the bottom line they have to do their primary job and balance the books while they’re at it. All my whistles and bells won’t change that. Maybe I need to make myself invaluable as a teacher instead. In the meantime I'll play with any little string of encouragement they care to dangle.

3 comments:

THEBRO2K9 said...

I Know No where u work u were spotted

Mr C said...

um, slightly sinister Dave

Karen ^..^ said...

Ugh, don't you hate being on the outskirts of job security, and kept there? Seriously, you put your all into everything you do, they dangle that carrot in front of your face, then someone less qualified gets the job. YUCK. That has happened to me more times than I can count, and I'm not even a teacher. Makes you want to rethink your work ethic, but not quite. Because to do that, you'd be one of them. Perish the thought...

You rock, Mr. C. Your efforts on this blog have not gone unnoticed... *dangles carrot*