Thursday 19 October 2006

Set in Stone

Set in Stone


I once put a stone up,
A standing stone.
Just me and 699 other people;
There was meant to be a thousand
I guess 300 people weren’t told
Their presence was required.


47 tonnes, 10 metres high,
All to the tune of 2001 a Space Odyssey.
It was a symbol, an emblem
Of the Millennium,
Although it was actually raised in 1999;
June 26th.
I know some people think the Millennium is 2000
And some who believe 2001,
But no one thinks it was ‘99.
I guess the stone pullers hadn’t been told.


“In the spirit of the future”
Peace and reconciliation among the youth
In Northern Ireland.
Punishment beatings a month later,
Homes burned out, children killed,
Riots, victimisation, fear, hate.
I guess no one told the rest of the country about the stone.


© Sam Campbell. Unpublished poem

No comments: