Monday 16 April 2007

cup of tea anyone - i'll put the kettle on.




And so it begins - and so immediately I go into automatic maximum level procrastiantion mode with deflectors at full. I hate this time of year. This is the time of year when I begin applying for jobs. I hate applying for jobs.




The reasons why I need to apply for jobs annually are complicated so I won't bore you with them. This year it is even more important - yet still I sit typing a blog instead of a CV. I have two application forms sitting very neatly in a yellow folder along with practise sheets and relevent information - colour coded of course. I could have filled them in at any point during my Easter break - I could have filled them in during the weekend - I could have; but instead I have an incredibly tidy room, a shiney car and a computer which has been spring cleaned, defragmanted, updated, virus scanned and disk checked within an inch of its life. The keys are spotless but I have yet to use them to type up the forms.




Why is it that we are so reluctant to do the things that actually matter - or is it just me? Does anybody else find making choices that will actually affect their future incredibly difficult? Am I the only person who prefers cleaning toilets to updating resumes and CVs?




I keep thinking to myself that I'm waiting until I have a clear mind, that I will begin as soon as I am in the right mood. But, lets face the truth, the very act of thinking about the application forms is clouding my mind and putting me in the wrong mood. I will never be in the right mood to fill in forms describing my academic status and employability. Still, the deadline isn't for a week and I always end up getting it done eventually - It's just a bit of procrastination and that's not hurting anyone, is it?




Well according to the Counselling Services at the University at Buffalo it can be very damaging. They claim that procrastination...
can lead to feelings of guilt, inadequacy, depression and self-doubt... Procrastination has a high potential for painful consequences.

So now I'm feeling guilty, inadequate, depressed, self doubting... and scared.




Thankfully they have a checklist to help me out (I thought they might)
· Recognize self-defeating problems such as; fear and anxiety, difficulty concentrating, poor time management, indecisiveness and perfectionism.
· Identify your own goals, strengths and weaknesses, values and priorities. Compare your actions with the values you feel you have. Are your values consistent with your actions?
· Discipline yourself to use time wisely: Set priorities.
· Work in small blocks instead of long time periods. For example, you will accomplish more if you work in 60 minute blocks and take frequent 10 minute breaks in between, than if you work for 2-3 hours straight, with no breaks. Reward yourself after you complete a task.
· Motivate yourself to work: Dwell on success, not on failure. Try to work in small groups. Break large assignments into small tasks. Keep a reminder schedule and checklist.
· Set realistic goals.
· Modify your environment: Eliminate or minimize noise/ distraction. Ensure adequate lighting. Have necessary equipment at hand. Don't waste time going back and forth to get things. Don't get too comfortable when studying. A desk and straight-backed chair is usually best (a bed is no place to study). Be neat! Take a few minutes to straighten your desk. This can help to reduce day-dreaming.




So now I'm all up for it and raring to go. I'm closing up now to go and fill in some forms - well, as soon as I've got over the irony of procrastinating by writing a blog on the dangers of procrastination... and made myself a cup of tea... and filled in some education reviews... and double checked my timetable for this term... and changed the yellow file for a green one...

No comments: