Wednesday 25 April 2007

my room, the tardis

I'm utterly confused. How is it possible to remove a large amount from a small space and end up with more than you started with? Every year around this time I do a traditional spring clean. I clear out, clean up and reorganise. I have to - otherwise I would have drowned in rubble years ago.
I'm a hoarder - always have been. I find it practically impossible to throw away anything. I'm convinced the most worthless piece of rubbish may come in useful someday - it never does but just in case...

Is that what it means to have faith in a God of grace? We're told so much these days that we have to value ourselves - that if we can't do that how can we expect others to value us. At times I find that a hard thing to do - somtimes I have to look long and hard to see the worth. Yet as a Christian I'm told that I'm not worthless - I may be unworthy but not worthless. That gives me enormous relief.

The same cannot be said for the junk I cleared out of my room. None of it earned a reprieve and my annual cull took place as scheduled. I bit my lip, put all my "it might be needed sometime"s and my "who knows what this might be worth"s behind me and started filling bin liners. The surprising thing is that the more I cleared out the more my shelves seemed to fill up. See for yourself - look at the photo above -I cleared all of this out of one tiny room and yet it's still crammed to the brim. Can somebody please offer a logical explanation because I'm at a loss.

No comments: