Friday 27 June 2008

four more hours

pupil looking out the windowA pupil has just looked out the window at the grey skies and remarked, “I can’t believe it’s almost summer.” I can – and I can’t wait. And I only have a couple more hours to survive.

This is my last day at CHS. I have mixed emotions really. I’m exhausted, so relieved to have some time off; I don’t have a job for next year, so apprehensive about what the future holds; I may never see a lot of the people here ever again, so there is a touch of sadness; oh, and a little bit of guilt. You see although I said it’s my last day at CHS it isn’t actually the last day of the school year. Ridiculously we are expected to come in for a single day next week. They are having a half day on Monday to finish everything off. I’m down to supervise the party – I won’t be.

I will be in Leeds on camp with a bunch of immature teenagers and two other, even less mature, leaders. While I am supposed to be standing imposingly in the corner of an assembly hall I will probably be living in a tent.

I will let them know that I won’t be able to be at school on Monday so they can arrange appropriate cover (maybe hire a couple of heavies to take my place) but every time I try they look so hurt at the suggestion that I would even consider missing my last ever day here. I hate the hurt look – I’m a pushover sometimes. Apparently the English department are planning an informal get together in my honour. I feel terrible that people are being so lovely while I am slinking off into the darkness.

But I think I’ll find the time to get over it while I’m relaxing with a couple of dozen good books over the summer. Au revoir CHS, et bon chance.

1 comment:

THEBRO2K9 said...

ul b bk in the high school in limavady i bet u teaching something but instead of english trust ne