Wednesday 4 June 2008

my first 21 years

I was surprised to read in the Metro today that:

Actually that wasn't the thing that shocked me. Andy Murray having a gripe is hardly front page news. The surprising thing is the source of the story - Andy's autobiography, Hitting Back.

He has an autobiography? He's, what, 12?

Okay I exaggerate but I just feel a bit perplexed at the spate of young sports stars and celebrities publishing their life stories before they've really begun to live. Twenty-two year old Cristiano Ronaldo has his memoir, Moments - although from what I've seen it's mainly pictures; Charlotte Church (also tenty-two) fills her Keep Smiling with terms like 'lush' to prove it wasn't ghost written... many of my pupils obviously use her writing for inspiration; Britney was only nineteen when she got her mom in on the act to co-write Heart to Heart, Twenty-six year old Billie Piper's Growing Pains is surprising good but i just wish she'd waited a bit longer (I suppose a bit like how she feels about her marriage to Chris Evans.) Do they feel they have to rush them out while they are still in the public eye - clinging to celebrity like a tick to a stray dog.

Footballers are the worst. The list is endless: Stephen Gerrard (Gerrard), John Terry, Robbie Fowler (Robbie Fowler: My Autobiography), Ryan Giggs, (Giggs: The Autobiography) Rio Ferdinand (Rio: My Story), Ashley Cole (My Defence), Frank Lampard (Totally Frank), Didier Drogba (Didier Drogba: The Autobiography) You have to love the imaginative titles.

Wayne Rooney has a £5million deal to write a SERIES of autobiographies. No footballer is more than one book interesting.

I have to admit that I started my biography when I was eleven. It's called the Slimey Git and the Zombie. Someday I'll tell you why... but not until I am at least 50 and I'm ready to publish.

No I will not be reading Andy Murray's little offering. Truth be told I wouldn't listen to his whinging if he was ninety - although at ninety he may have learned not to whinge.

No comments: