Thursday 19 February 2009

catch the pigeon, catch the pigeon...

I love this story. It seems the Irish Police have been chasing a notorious polish immigrant driver for the past few years. 'The worst driver in Ireland' he's been called. A man so inconsiderate and dangerous he was wanted in counties across the country - north, south, east and west. Speeding, disobeying road signs, illegal parking, driving without due care and attention - you name it he did it.

But he was too clever for the Irish justice system - you see although he was caught red handed plenty of times he evaded trouble by providing a different address each time - crafty sod! A manhunt was organised. No stone would be unturned in pursuit of this devil driver.

So who is this polish scarlet pimpernel? His name, Mr Prawo Jazdy.

The polish speakers among you are already smirking. For it turns out that 'Prawo Jazdy' is polish for 'Driving License.'

Oh yes.

The police, unaccustomed to polish id recorded the most prominent writing assuming it was the culprit's name. Blinded by the sheer panic of facing a bizarre foreign language they wrote down the first thing they saw rather than taking a bit of time and working it out. Check out the photo - would you be taken in?
Actually if I'm honest I am sometimes at a bit of a loss when faced with some of the foreign names in my classes in recent years. I think I may actually empathise with the poor traffic cops - I have felt similar panic when I first see a Chui, Franciszek Ksawery or Kuivina in the register book - knowing that in a few seconds I will have to try and call it out. Even Irish names like Caoimhe, Dearbhla or Medb fill me with dread. But that is no excuse for three years chasing a man called Driving License.
Isn't it bad enough that we've had to put up with jokes about how stupid the Irish are without us actually proving that we really are a bit thick when it comes down to it? Really makes you proud, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Karen ^..^ said...

I'll never admit that it is an Irish thing... I'd like to think that it is a 'cop' thing. LOL.



The stupidity, I mean.

This Brazen Teacher said...

It's not that the Irish are "thick" as you put it. It's that more often than not they are intoxicated. At least that's the perception I've always had :-)