Thursday 12 February 2009

moving on

I feel old now. As if in a direct answer to my last entry where I complained that subs never get to see how their pupils progress, a pupil in my new school stopped me in the corridor today. She’s in her final year of secondary education – just a few months from university and adult life.

“Mr C!!! It’s me. Don’t you remember me?”

I should point out that this is not my first time teaching at this particular school. Towards the end of my PGCE (teacher training) I had a placement there. After the placement they took me on as a classroom assistant while I completed my training – and, once I became a fully trained teacher of English language and literature, they took me on as a teacher – a technology, art and maths teacher.

I was in my first year teaching and this particular pupil was in her first year of secondary school. I taught her technology. “Isn’t it weird? You were here when I started out – and now you’re here as I finish.”

As I struggled to remember what her name was I came to the realisation that I have now been teaching for one complete cycle – an educational generation. I have been here for the lifespan of a secondary pupil – just not the same ‘here’

There are many landmarks in a teacher's career. I’ve been told you only really feel old when you find out that one of your pupils is the son or daughter of someone you taught. Perhaps my next one will be when I see a pupil leaving school who was only starting primary school in 2001. But for now let me pause, sigh and reflect upon the last seven years, and the vocation that has swallowed them whole.

4 comments:

Karen ^..^ said...

I love the picture you posted, too funny!!!

Seven years isn't quite long enough to count as a generation, I guess. But I know how you feel. I am now doing hair for some of the children of the high schoolers that I've done prom updos for. Not quite the same thing, but similar.

Mike and Alex said...

That got me thinking - I could have (probably) taught her when doing my first round of Teaching Practice... I've almost been absent for a complete cycle... and all without a sick note of any kind...!

Tom.... said...

I checked your profile and you are 32? Wow, I am 60 and still in the game so hang in there, my friend.
I will add your site to my list of views I need daily.
I have written a novel about a veteran middle school special ed. teacher. The first chapter can be seen on my blog www.tomsboomertimes.blogspot.com
I invite you and all your readers to check it out sometime.
Take care, and continue to enjoy your career.

Mr C said...

Ah Karen, thanks for stopping by - it's always a pleasure.
It doesn't help that the same year - when I was starting out - I taught the girl who now cuts my hair. She never tires of reminding me about it. I also taught the guy that serves us when we go for a night out at the inn and a local cop who pulled me over one night for 'almost' speeding. Its when I teach the lawyer that helps persuade the judge I taught to let me go that I'll worry.

Actually, thats true Mike - You probably taught her English when you were a student. If she saw you she could say 'Mr W!!! How weird! You taught me English when I started and now when I'm about to finish you... ..." ...have I ever told you how I envy you young man?
Oh - and I bumped into that blonde art teacher who travelled with us back then in coleraine not 20 minutes ago. Quelle coincidence! I've forgotten her name though.

Thanks for the invitation Tom -- I'll be right over.