Monday 23 March 2009

how to predict the weather in north antrim

I'm teaching year 8 and 10 Geography at the moment. I have to admit that this has turned out to be more difficult than I had expected it to be.
I used to enjoy Geography when I was being taught it. I just assumed teaching it would be the same. It's not. I'm having to work hard to learn what I will be teaching, and anticipate potential questions or difficulties the pupils may have.

My year 8s are looking at weather. The biggest difficulty I have with this topic is explaining why, despite the fact that we've had nothing but glorious weather all week, and despite the BBC forecast predicting bright sunshine, when I am on bus duty it always, ALWAYS, rains.

7 comments:

This Brazen Teacher said...

lol. That is indeed a quandary.

Mr C said...

here's the test - I am on bus duty this afternoon. Right now I am in the school library looking out at a fabulous blue sky. Let's just see what happens between now and 3:30

kylie said...

well, did it rain?

thanks for visiting my place.

i had a quick look at your blog and i like what i see.
i think i like trapezium as a maths word.............

cheers

Gidge said...

Good Luck, Sir.


...maybe grab an umbrella… just in case?

Mr C said...

ok, I'll be honest. I was all set to lie here - pretend it had rained if it didn't. I know, if you can't trust a teacher...

Anyway at 11 it started to rain heavily and I thought here we go again. At Lunch it was the most beautiful day imaginable. So pretty. I drove down to the seafront and ate my lunch watching the breakers - indescribable

At the end of the day when I had bus duty - 30 mins of standing in the most exposed part of the school watching to make sure no one gets run over by a bus - it didn't rain. Nope. It didn't rain. Instead we had half an hour of hail stones! I kid you not. Not only am I cursed but now the curse is mocking me.

Skeeter said...

Hi Mr. C,

Rain and hailstones! Now that sounds like Oklahoma. Toss in a tornado every so often and the weather tourists will be there through the season.

Great blog!

Best wishes,

Skeeter

Lana Banana said...

gee, i've missed ya.

(still hermitting myself, but i'll post new photos and reboot when i get back from wales/england. and i'm sorry i'll miss ya again when i'm there . . . and i'm REALLY sorry i won't get to meet david. holy cow, you weren't kidding; that boy's got some serious pipes on him. i'm schvitzing just thinkin' 'bout it. choir o' angles ain't got nuthin' on him. shoot . . .)