Thursday 1 February 2007

an irishman abroad

Don't transfer windows make football exciting? I know you probably don't like to admit it but I'm sure many of you were on the edge of your seats with tension wondering whether the free transfer of Steve Aitken from Stranraer to Stenhousemuir (two of my favourite Scottish teams) was going to go through without a hitch in the final seconds of the window; I know you shook your head, as I did, when Ashley Young joined Villa for almost £10 million - I could hear you: "He's good... but £10 million!" You sighed when Hearts brought Tomas Kancelskis over on loan because you knew that here was yet another player whose name you would struggle to chant at the next Edinburgh derby... I know you did all of that - we all did, and it's ok to admit it.

But my favourite signing of all was Reading bringing Alan Bennett over from Cork for an undisclosed fee. I'm assuming the 72 year old Playwright will slot seamlessly into the Reading defence where he will be expected to use his height to deal with crosses and make dry comments about his family in a Yorkshire accent.
As a Newcastle fan I have long learned to ignore the majority of comings and goings in January. Even when we do sign someone decent he gets injured after two games and we're forced to play the twelve year old son of the reserve team coach anyway. I've even become immune to the money thats thrown around the league these days - Although if I can't pay off my student loan soon I may be forced to sell some of my year 8 literacy group. In the meantime I'm off to the old Vic to see a musical by Watford's new goalie.

No comments: