Tuesday 6 February 2007

life is like a snowball


Life is like a snowfall - nice and pretty to look at but bloody freezing when some skitter of a 10 year old lumps a bit of it at the back of your neck.
This morning I awoke to a white world. Very picturesque. I walked across the yard noticing just how big my footprints were (could this be related to the size of my big feet?) I cleared my car and set off along the unsullied road - beautiful. half a mile later I joined the main road where the glistening white turned to brown sludge. How quickly things change.
I work with children - lots of them. Sometimes I struggle to believe that these street savy teenagers were once innocent and naive. But sometimes... just sometimes one of them will say something that will remind me that these are not yet fully formed cynical adults - there is a glimmer of that innocence hidden behind the smart comments and dishevelled uniforms.

And now. as the pupil beside me keeps remarking, the snow is falling again - who knows, maybe it'll cover up that horrible slush with a fresh layer of glistening virgin snow.

No comments: