Wednesday 21 February 2007

sorry there's no title - the dog ate it

Picture the scene. A small group of pupils round one table in a small classroom getting on with a piece of coursework. One of them puts down his pen and begins to look around the room seemingly aimlessly.
SNT: Get on with some work.
PUPIL: That's what I'm trying to do.
SNT: Well get on with it then.
PUPIL: I can't.
SNT: Why not?
PUPIL: I can't cause I haven't got my polly pockets.
I have heard some excuses in my time. I remember in a previous incarnation as an English teacher in a small town school I set a homework. Each pupil handed it in except one little girl who earnestly held up a note from her mother. It read "Unfortunately Sonia has not been able to carry out the homework you set her. The Laptop is broken and her father is away on business." I kept the note - I look at it every so often to make sure I didn't imagine it.
What's the best excuse you've come up with to explain being unable to carry out a task? I have to admit that I came up with a few humdingers when I was a school kid; but I'm much too ashamed to record them here.
As for the pupil? Well luckily plastic pockets are not something I'm short of in my little stationery filled room. I was able to give him a handful - he still didn't do any work though.

No comments: