Tuesday 7 November 2006

A doner a day... will probably kill you

Rumour has it that McDonalds are going to reduce the trans-fatty acids in their food to 2% by 2008. Shocking news indeed.
My knowledge of trans-fats consists solely what I heard in a TV documentary about them a year or so ago. It was probably one of the scariest things I’ve seen in years. They went over the risks associated with trans-fat acid, how 5 gram increase had been linked to a 25% increase in the risk of heart disease or something like that. They explained that the process of hydrogenating fat (or something) created trans fats – evil little fats that normally only occur in some diary and meat products. They tested a whole range of fast food – KFC, Mickey D’s, Burger King, the lot – and found a terrifyingly large amount of the stuff.
The biggest offender wasn’t some American chain however, it was the donor kebab. Now for the scary bit – The thing I remember most about the documentary is that when it ended I had an incredible urge for a kebab. After watching how they kill people regularly I had a hunger that could only be satisfied by strips of reconstituted sheep product… and lots of it. I really need to reassess my diet.
Anyway, back to today’s news. Great, isn’t it? Rather a shame that it’s going to take so long to actually carry it out. I was looking forward to replacing the greasy cardboard flavoured conveyor belt burgers with slightly-less-bad for you greasy cardboard flavoured conveyor belt burgers.

No comments: