Saturday 6 January 2007

the definition of relieved


Tonight I went out – occasionally I do have a social life. I spent a very pleasant evening in the Piano Lounge in the Europa Hotel – Europe’s most bombed hotel (I bet they’re getting sick of it being described like that.) My friend Shannon and I often go there to have our regular discussions about our love lives (or lack thereof) and university reminiscences. Well, we go there when we get sick of Starbucks. The Europa is an odd sort of place – from ground level it looks quite nice – posh even; but when you look up at the accommodation it looks distinctly scumy.

Anyway the Piano Lounge (or Piano Restaurant – depending on the time of day) is an extremely pleasant place for a chat and an overpriced drink. A conversation-conducive environment if you like. And there is usually somebody playing piano – hence the name.

A friend used to play there – he loved it. The way he saw it he got paid to practice his playing and he got to use a beautiful piano. A no-lose situation. One of my personal favourite piano bar related moments was when an international string quartet were playing at the Opera House next door. When they finished they came across the the Europa and gave an impromptu performance. Now I love the trad sessions you get in the Springhill bar but that night was something special.

Anyway, back to tonight. After a while I got up and made my way to the cloak rooms (or whatever they call the toilets in four star hotels) As I was there a young man came and used the urinal next to me. I never know what to do in situations like that. Are you supposed to make polite conversation? I know eye contact is out of the question but is one expected to pass the time of day with your convenience neighbour?
“You’re playing well. Enjoying it greatly.”
He looked a little confused, bemused even, and I went to wash my hands. As I dried them and made my way to the door all kinds of thoughts were invading my mind – the major one being
“What if he isn’t the pianist?”

The definition of relieved – seeing an empty piano stool on my way out of the gents.

No comments: