Saturday 2 September 2006

park rangers are go


No, not Power Rangers. An even less likely sight in the centre of Belfast – a New York Park Ranger. I didn’t even know New York had Park Rangers. I know, I’m ignorant. I just always imagined a Park Ranger as seen in Yogi Bear cartoons. The idea of Yogi and Bobo strolling through Central Park doesn’t fit somehow. Park Rangers go along with geysers, forest fires, and man-eating ant movies. Somehow I can't picture Park Rangers in the city, Urban Rangers who don't play Ice hockey - I wouldn't have believed they exist. And yet obviously they do – because they’re over here. I saw them. New York Park Rangers in Belfast.

I can only imagine that they are over advising our parks people on how to dress well. I have to say that I like the uniform – as did the group of middle aged women who were practically stalking them through Botanic Gardens. Although, at the end of the day, it won’t compare to mine when I finally become a mountie.

No comments: