Wednesday 2 August 2006

blogging for the masses

It seems to me that this time I missed the boat - and yet here I am making a mad, dash, swim for it as it sails, already overcrowded, into the distance. Usually I'm one of the first when it comes to new fads. When it came to text messaging I was doing that long before it became main stream; I remember the first series of Friends and The West Wing; I was one of the first people in my village to install a dual layer DVD burner in my computer (I think I may still be the only person in my village to have installed a (now not working) dual layer DVD burner), I rated Owen Hargreaves as a footballer before the world cup, I had a space on myspace before it was hijacked by wannabe rock idols; admittedly I don't think I actually ever used it for what it was meant to be used for - I think I just had it...

And yet this, on the 2nd Aug 2006, is my first ever blog entry. I remember years ago (before the four year old up the street was even born - now he's a seasoned blogging pro) thinking of creating a blog. The nerdy computer magazine I read at the time was hailing weblogging as the next big thing; I think I'am a fairly decent writer, I'm into computer stuff, I've written articles for web sites, I've even designed websites... yup... I'll create a blog. I didn't.

And so here I am in 2006 when the mouse that ran across my bed a few days ago (at the time I thought he was trying to escape the cat but I'm actually inclined to believe he was going home to fill in his web journal) made me consider my own mortality (he could have been rabid! I'm sure I saw mouse saliva frothing from his jaws) and I have taken the plunge into the sewage infected docks to chase good ship blogger. Will I catch her? Will anyone get sick of this ridiculous metaphor? Will anyone read the drivellings of a overweight special needs teacher? We'll find out some other time; I'm going for pizza.

No comments: