Monday 28 August 2006

what a difference a name makes.

I was having one of those days today. Too many things on my mind. I was still mourning the lose of the great Roger Federer to the great whingeing bar of soap that is Andy Murray in the Cincinnati Masters last week and trying to think of something to type up for my blog when I stumbled across an online article abusing 'Roger' for a shoddy performance that made the author feel 'physically sick.'

"A bit rough" I thought, "A bad performance maybe, an offday undoubtedly, but it'll all be forgotten in a month or so. He's still the greatest tennis player to ever walk on a court." I got more and more wound up until I was at the point where I had to do something. I looked up the article again to try and find an email address or something that I could use to provide constructive criticism. As I read through it again I realised my mistake.

The article wasn't berating Roger Federer - it was tearing apart a certain young man by the name of Kevin Federline. Easy mistake to make - if you can't read. Federer is a tennis genius, born in the same city as Karl Barth (just for you Dave) who is famous for speaking three languages fluently, oh and being the world number one tennis player. Federline is a dancer who is famous for marrying Britney Spears. Federer is the founder of a foundation that helps disadvantaged kids in South Africa. Federline ran off with Ms Spears while his ex was about to give birth to his child. About five months ago Federer was appointed a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF, Federline wants to be an ambassador for Coke:

"You know I've been f---ing publicizing their f---ing asses for f---ing years
now. I think it's time for them to f---ing give me some loot," he says. "It
could be great too, 'cause [Britney] was repping Pepsi, and I could be repping
Coke."
Yep, you could say these two guys don't have a great deal in common. And yet in all honesty I can't really judge either one of them. I don't know them. I know what the papers and web say about each - and I know who wins the PR battle - but who knows, maybe KF is a real sweety at heart. I sort of hope he is.

No comments: