Wednesday 9 August 2006

cutting edge

It turns out this area is a little more cutting edge than I’d imagined. There was me thinking it was a sleepy little tourist area and all along it is up there with Paris, Milan and New York as hubs for style and fashion.

Last night I was feeling a bit of a craving for Taytos and, having diminished will power, I got in my car and drove to a filling station in Portrush. I grabbed my crisps, and a few other nibbles in case I got hungry later on that night, and went to pay at the till. Here’s the thing – the girl had the till had Victoria Beckham’s new hairstyle. I rolled my eyes and sighed inwardly at the tragic thought than celebrity influences even people in this backwater.


All last week I’d been reading in the tabloids (and some of the ‘quality’ press) about this new style, about how it was a complete new hair direction for her. I’m not great at describing things like wedding dresses and woman’s hair styles and you’re bound to have seen it if you read the red tops and gossip magazines. It’s a kind of messed up bob. Anyway it’s being hailed as trend setting. Apparently Posh has been getting worried that other footballers’ wives have been stealing a march on her style stakes and decided to up the ante. Actually I think it quite suits her but I know nothing of these things. The papers say that she was sending phone photos of it to David who was on another planet or something and he was well impressed, so that’s alright then. You can read about it from a writer who knows more about these things than me at
Kate Creasey's blog.

So here I am standing at the front of the queue to pay and the cashier is giving me funny looks because I seem to have forgotten to actually hand over the cash and am staring at her hair. The thing is, suddenly I distinctly remembered being there the week before and she had that same hairstyle. Come to think of it she’s had that style for as long as I can remember. It’s definitely the same as Victoria’s (except it may not have cost as much to create.) So the only explanation has to be that while VB was searching for inspiration to reinvent herself she came to North Antrim (the North Sea air helps you think – it’s a recognised fact) and fancied a pack of Tayto crisps. While she was standing in the queue to pay she spotted her role model. You mark my words, very soon she’ll be chewing gum noisily and saying things like “That’s £1.59. Why you lookin’ at my hair?”

Still she smiled as she handed over my change, so I think I might be in there.

No comments: