Thursday 17 August 2006

pick me up

I was going to post an entry about A level results - towing the party line about how they're not getting easier blah blah blah teaching is getting more effective blah blah blah pupils work hard for those grades blah blah blah. But I just watched an ad on tv that caused me to walk round with my mouth open for over ten minutes. I only managed to close it by filling it with tictacs.

Some of you may know the ad I'm talking about. Most of you won't. It's for a magazine called Pick Me Up. A quality little piece of gloss that, according to the ad, has 'more adultery, more marvelous mums, and more puzzles'. MORE ADULTERY, more marvellous mums and more puzzles!?! (trust me, I never use !?! lightly) Since when in this twisted world did adultery become a selling point? I must have missed something here. I actually hoped my, undoubtably deteriorating, hearing had taken a turn for the worse and it really said something like 'more adult earrings' (actually, that would still worry me.) So I went to the web site to find out more, and to put me mind at ease.

It didn't. The web site describes the content:
There's every kind of real-life story inside Pick Me Up – outrageous sex and betrayal, shocking murder, heartache, tears and a whole lot of laughter. Plus, Pick Me Up's Puzzlin' Paul has a treat in store for you – nine pages of brainteasers and £7,000 to give away. It's all true, all real, all yours!

It's got me turning all Daily Mail. I'm filling out my visa application for a trip back to the 50s. And what makes it worse is the chirpy voice of the woman in the ad making me feel like there's nothing odd about selling a magazine on the backs of broken families and love gone wrong. And puzzles. Adultery and puzzles share the bill. I'm bemused. I'm off to buy a copy. For the puzzles obviously.

No comments: